The benefits system can be especially challenging for new staff, particularly those who help clients with their benefits but who are not specialist advisers. This one day Benefits course is designed to give new and less experienced staff a solid overview of the benefits system to improve their understanding and put the principles surrounding benefits into context. The course will give participants, including new and less experienced staff, and understanding of how the benefits system is organised, including an overview of the new Universal Credit, suggest ways to use online tools to improve skills and confidence, and advise how to check, improve and support benefits claims made on behalf of clients.
- Understand the different types of benefits, how they interrelate and how they are administrated
- Identify who is eligible for the new universal credit
- Understand the criteria for claiming benefits related to disability, such as employment and support allowance, and he new personal independence payment
- Understand the basics of housing benefit and who is affected by issues such as the bedroom tax
- Use the internet to work out what someone needs to live on each week, and how that amount can be achieve or improved
- Appreciate the nature of recent and future reforms and how to support clients in a of change and uncertainty
All courses use various methods of engagement including Presentations, Q and A, Case studies, Group discussions, Short Films and Course hand-outs.