Benefits for Disabled People – Coping with a New Era
The benefits system for people with disabilities can be a nightmare to understand and manage. Current areas of concern include reassessment and transfer of DLA claims to PIP, and the major changes to ESA which are part of the new Welfare Reform and Work Bill. This half day Benefits course is designed to give all staff a solid overview of the current benefits situation for working age people who are ill or disabled, and to flag up what is likely to be problematic over the next year or so.
- Feel confident that their benefits knowledge is as up to date as possible
- Understand what’s happening with PIP – both for new claims and for clients on DLA who are awaiting (or dreading) their reassessment appointments
- Be aware of what’s going on with ESA – including news about Maximus, and new protocols within the DWP about dealing with vulnerable people
- Talk to clients about new Welfare Reform and Work Bill, and what it might mean to people on ESA who are unable to get into the Support Group
- Prepare clients properly for their assessment appointments, including issues around evidence and paperwork
- Appreciate the Nature of recent and future reforms and how to support clients in a climate of change uncertainty
All courses use various methods of engagement including Presentations, Q and A, Case studies, Group discussions, Short Films and Course hand-outs.