In the current climate where Health and Safety is paramount and the course below is brought to you under the MiDAS (Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme) umbrella. MiDAS is an award winning Nationally Recognised training scheme developed by Hampshire County Council but delivered nationally by qualified Driver Assessor Trainers.
This course is aimed at all minibus drivers who transport passengers. It aims to provide minibus driver training on safe and legal use of a minibus, transporting passengers safely, comfortably and with dignity. Safe transportation of passengers with learning disabilities, physical disabilities and wheelchair users.
There are two types of courses, one for minibuses without wheelchair accessibility (Standard) and one for minibuses with wheelchair access (Accessible).
Standard course one day for up to four delegates. Accessible course one and a half days for up to four delegates.
By the end of this course, each driver will have a thorough understanding of minibus;
- Law, safety, their responsibilities and using minibus equipment
If they have attended the accessible course they will have had training and practice on;
- Passenger Safety, Working with disabled people
Practical demonstrations and practice on how to assist passengers who have:
- sight loss, walking difficulties.
Demonstration and supervised practice;
- assisting wheelchair users.
Practical Skills Assessments to demonstrate & assess their ability:
- To use a passenger lift or ramp.
- To secure wheelchair users in a minibus.
- All the above is confirmed by way of a theory assessment and practical skills assessments.
- Nationally recognised certificates are issued on successful completion and last for four years after which refresher training is recommended to renew their certificates and update their knowledge.
- They will be able to identify any shortcomings in the transportation package and know what to report and who to report those issues to.
All courses use various methods of engagement including Presentations, Q and A, Case studies, Group discussions, Short Films and Course hand-outs.