There is so much going on in benefits world at the moment, it’s difficult to keep up. April 2016 saw the start of a wave of benefit changes prompted by the new Welfare Reform and Work Bill, with a reduction in the benefit cap having widespread stark and widespread consequences. Universal Credit is now live and having a huge impact on local residents and the workers who support them. This extended 4 hour workshop focuses on benefit related themes. This course is aimed at staff who have a reasonable working knowledge of the benefit system, and who need to ensure that they are as updated and prepared as possible to support clients. Some aspects of the workshop will be too basic for experienced benefits caseworkers.
- An overview of the Universal Credit developments specific to their area and a refresher on the basics
- A thorough guide to the Welfare Reform Bill developments, including the Benefit Cap and how it will impact on the locality, taking into account LHA rates
- Proposed changes to Housing Benefit, and how both social and private tenants may be affected
- A to-do list of how to prepare for what lies ahead, and how legal challenges may alter the benefits landscape
- A guide to the latest helpful internet and charitable resources
All courses use various methods of engagement including Presentations, Q and A, Case studies, Group discussions, Short Films and Course hand-outs.